We all have to make more of an effort to be PERSON WHISPERERS. More and more people and organizations are learning to communicate with other people through the lessons from horse whispering. A horse whisperer is a horse trainer who adopts a sympathetic, non-aggressive, view of the MOTIVES, NEEDS and DESIRES of the horse. A great horse whisperer has great patience, using a gentle vocal encouragement.
Buck Brannaman, the horse whisperer famous from the book and movie, has said; “Your horse, as is a person, is a mirror to your soul.” It is believed the same basic rules used for horse whispering can be used to work with and train people. Thus we have PERSON WHISPERER.
To be an effective PERSON WHISPERER, we use Buck’s five rules.
- Don’t Intimidate- in short term you may intimidate someone into good performance but ultimately intimidation leads to fear, which is paralyzing.
- Loosen The Reins- through consistent and gentle language, encouragement and a notable lack of frustration or anger will establish basic ground rules. “Blessed are the flexible for they won’t be bent out of shape.”.
- Bribery Doesn’t Work- all it does is make a “spoiled horse.” So go easy on the carrots, trophies. Creating an atmosphere of good teamwork is steadily acknowledged and appreciated. Extravagant praise is reserved for exceptional performance.
- Tolerate Mistakes- allow mistakes, the lesson is learned from the mistakes. One should not dread making mistakes.
- Gentle in how you do, firm in how you do it.
Horses as well as people are interested in TRUST, RESPECT, and CLARITY. The right environment will ensure the PERSON WHISPERER success. Having EMPATHY, RESPECT, and LISTENING to another’s PERSPECTIVE without fear will assist the PERSON WHISPERER to give positive reinforcement.
BE A PERSON WHISPERER AND BY DOING SO YOU WILL ACHIEVE MORE IN LIFE. HORSES LIKE IT.
Ron Winnegrad has been a Perfumer and teacher for 46 years. As a perfumer, Ron has been able to express the world he sees through a rainbow of olfactive and emotive visions. As a teacher, Ron has helped others to see fragrance through his own multi sensorial lens.